Playdoh is one of the best kids toys. It can be made quickly and it is simple to manipulate the color and mold into a variety of scenarios. You can also bake it if you want to make something last.
Here is a pretty solid recipe for a gluten free playdoh.
- 2 cups white flour (we prefer our own gluten free mix)
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup salt
- 2 tbsp organic canola oil
- 1 tbsp xantham gum for elasticity
- Food coloring (we prefer plant-based ideally from berries)
- Put all ingredients into a medium size pot and heat on low, stirring continuously. Mix to incorporate well.
- When it pulls away from sides it’s almost ready and you should take some out to see if still too sticky; keep “cooking” it until it’s not sticky to handle.
- Separate into even sized balls and add food coloring to suit.
- Now you are ready to play! If you find it is still too sticky, you may want to incorporate more flour when you’re playing with it, which can be part of the fun process for the kids.
The playdoh works best if you refrigerate after use. Remember that this is plant-based without any preservatives so after a week test it before use again.